Part- Time Veteran Upwards Bound (VUB) English Tutor/ Office Assistant
Job no: 493483
Work type: Springfield Campus
Location: Springfield, MO
Categories: Part-Time Staff, Staff, Student Affairs
Job Title: Part-time Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) English Tutor/Office Assistant
Department: Veterans Upward Bound
Salary Range: $9.45 - $12.50 (Dependent on experience and education)
Immediate Supervisor: VUB Program Director & Coordinator of Adult Education
Schedule Details: Part-time (not to exceed 19.5 hours per week)
The part-time Veterans Upward Bound Tutor/Office Assistant is responsible for tutoring the participants of the Veterans Upward Bound program, supervising, and maintaining academic lab. Veterans Upward Bound provides assistance for veterans returning to the classroom and depends on tutors to meet the academic needs of veterans that are in enrolled in program.
Essential Job Duties
- Assist the Adult Education Coordinator in teaching and tutoring to prepare and assist veterans in college level English classes needed to reach participants’ academic goals.
- Guide students in performing research for their coursework in the appropriate subject(s).
- Relate to all types of people, especially those who have difficulty learning.
- Encourage and build participant esteem and facilitate learning through tutoring and guidance, rather than providing an answer.
- Provide clerical support by answering the telephone, photocopying, word processing, academic testing, and other duties as assigned.
- Conduct self in a professional manner respecting co-workers and VUB participants.
- Exhibit exemplary attendance and punctuality.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible.
- Ability to accept persons from differing backgrounds and economic situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and patience.
- Previous customer service experience.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use information technology for professional productivity (such as Microsoft Office Suite).
Preferred Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Associate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
- Completed college coursework with an emphasis on tutoring.
- Knowledge and/or willingness to work with other subjects outside of math, such as English, science, and foreign language.
- Previous tutoring experience.
- Experience working within a collegiate setting.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT: (The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.)
Environment: Work is performed primarily in a standard office setting with frequent interruptions and distractions. Requires extended periods of time viewing computer monitor or standing; may require adjustment of schedule to include some evening and/or weekends; may encounter occasional exposure to inclement weather during travel.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard.
***OZARKS TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY, INTERPRET, OR APPLY THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN ANY WAY THE INSTITUTION DESIRES. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN NO WAY IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES, INCLUDING ESSENTIAL DUTIES, TO BE PERFORMED BY THE EMPLOYEE OCCUPYING THIS POSITION. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE. THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP REMAINS “AT-WILL.” THE AFOREMENTIONED JOB REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE QUALIFIED DISABLED INDIVIDUALS.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend